Selecting a baby name isn’t any easy factor. Not solely do you wish to just like the sound of the identify, nevertheless it’s vital to many mother and father that it really means one thing, too. For some, which means selecting a reputation that runs within the household or a sentimental identify which means one thing simply to you and your accomplice (and your child, finally). Some mother and father go a special route, selecting cool, area of interest names that mean fire, old lady or old man names, and even ones that mean sun. For others, which means turning to popular culture and even historical past, which is why naming a child after a Greek god, or some model of the identify, could be so well-liked.
Then once more, you possibly can run into bother whenever you identify your child after a mythological persona. Dionysus would possibly sound nice to you when your child is an toddler (or when adorning their nursery to comply with the theme), nevertheless it might turn out to be a difficulty as soon as they hit center college and grumble about their distinctive identify.
That is when figuring out the Greek gods’ names’ meanings is vital. And in addition having lots to select from. With that in thoughts, the next is a full listing of the 12 important Greek gods’ names and their meanings, in addition to dozens of different choices. However it’s under no circumstances an exhaustive listing of all of the totally different Greek gods, so when you don’t discover one thing that speaks to you proper this minute, with some research you need to have the ability to discover one thing that fits you and your loved ones.
Greek Goddess Names
Hera is called the queen of Greek gods, on condition that she was the spouse of Zeus. In Roman mythology, she is called Juno, which is a cute variation. She is called the goddess of marriage (despite the fact that she put up with Zeus’ many infidelities) and as a protector. If you wish to give your baby the identify of an excellent queen, that is it.
Athena is certainly one of Zeus’ daughters, born and not using a mom, and perhaps even his favourite child, which suggests she had a ton of energy. She is called a goddess of conflict, but in addition of knowledge and cause. In contrast to different Greek gods, her story is predicated on monetary dealings and being within the metropolis, making massive choices alongside her father, which makes it a very feminist identify if you wish to learn it that means. In Roman mythology, she is called the goddess Minerva.
Artemis was speculated to be the daughter of Zeus and certainly one of his mistresses, Leto, in addition to the dual sister of Apollo. Referred to as Diana in Roman mythology, she is the goddess of looking and wild animals. This has led to the identify being gender-neutral in modern-day Greek, that means “butcher.”
Referred to as Venus in Roman mythology, Aphrodite is popularly referred to as the goddess of affection and sexuality. But it surely doesn’t cease there — she was born from the white foam that Heaven/Uranus’ severed genitals created within the ocean after his son tossed them into the water, so she’s also called a goddess of conflict and the ocean. You would possibly wish to skip the entire “severed genitals” factor whenever you inform folks concerning the that means behind the identify, although.
Hestia is a stunning identify for a woman, as she is thought for being the goddess of residence and fireside. However not as a result of she is a homebody — fairly, Zeus put Hestia, referred to as Vestia in Roman mythology, in command of tending the fires the place folks cooked or made sacrifices, so she obtained a share of every one folks made. Not a nasty gig, to be trustworthy.
This identify is such a brief and candy identify for just a little lady. It means rainbow and comes from Greek origin. Iris represents energy, royalty, religion, braveness, and knowledge. In Greek mythology, Iris was a messenger of Zeus and Hera who used the rainbow to journey between heaven and earth. This identify additionally represents the colourful a part of the human eye and a preferred perennial flower.
From the Greek phrase that means “weaver,” this identify gained notoriety by means of Homer’s epic poem, The Odyssey. Within the masterpiece, Homer is married to Penelope. So, it’s little marvel that the identify additionally means “devoted spouse,” because it’s precisely what Penelope was to Homer throughout his lengthy absence at Troy.
This beautiful identify comes from the Greek phrase for “laurel” — and it comes with fairly a narrative. Mythologically, it’s linked to a Naiad nymph named Daphne, the attractive daughter of a river god. Along with her magnificence, she was recognized for being resolute in her conviction to not marry or be touched by a person in her lifetime. When the god Apollo relentlessly pursued her, she prayed to the river god, Peneus, to free her from Apollo’s affection. So, he used his powers of everlasting youth and immortality to remodel Daphne right into a laurel tree.
Once you consider Greek mythology, you in all probability consider the gods of Mount Olympus, like Zeus. Nonetheless, there have been two previous generations of Greek deities: the Protogenoi and the Titans. Because the daughter of Protogenoi deities Ouranos (Sky) and Gaia (Earth), Phoebe was a member of the Titans. At present, her identify means “pure, radiant, brilliant, shining.”
In Greek, Chloe means “blooming” or “fertility.” In actual fact, its literal translation represents shoots of foliage in spring. And it’s little marvel — Demeter, the Greek goddess of agriculture and the harvest, is usually referred to by this epithet.
You would possibly suppose a reputation which means “bringer of dying” is a bit darkish. Nonetheless, in Greek mythology, Persephone performed a vital function because the daughter of Demeter and Zeus and the spouse of Hades — the latter of which made her the Queen of the Underworld. Her abduction by Hades is usually used to elucidate the rationale for seasons on Earth.
Who wouldn’t love having a reputation which means “beautiful-voiced”? Plus, Calliope has a cool backstory in Greek mythology, because it’s the identify of one of many Muse of Epic Poetry.
Extra Greek Goddess Names
- Achelois — a minor moon goddess
- Hecate — goddess of magic, witchcraft, and necromancy (the undead)
- Alcyone — one of many seven Pleiades
- Alectrona — an early Greek goddess of the solar
- Nyx — the traditional Greek goddess of the evening and one of many primordial gods
- Aura — titan goddess of the breeze and of the recent, cool air of morning
- Maia — one of many Pleiades and mom of Hermes
- Rhea — the mom of the gods and the goddess of feminine fertility
- Eos — a Titaness and goddess of the daybreak
- Calypso — sea nymph who held Odysseus for a number of years on the island of Ogygia
- Irene — one of many Horae, the divine personification of peace
- Xanthe — one of many Oceanids, or water-nymph daughters
- Electra — one of many Pleiades
- Nike — goddess of victory
- Echo — a mountain nymph or oread
- Ceto — the mom of sea monsters
- Delia — an epithet of the Greek moon goddess, Artemis
- Hebe — goddess of everlasting youth
- Selene — the divine personification of the moon and the “mom” of vampires
- Bia — the goddess of drive and unbridled power
- Gaia — the Greek goddess of Earth, mom of all life
- Eileithyia — goddess of childbirth
- Circe — goddess of magic who reworked those that insulted her into beasts
- Astraea — referred to as the “Star Maiden”
- Asteria — the Titan goddess of falling stars
- Thalia — one of many 9 muses, the patron of comedy
- Ianthe — one o the Oceanids, or water-nymph daughters
- Anthea — goddess of flowers, gardens, marshes, and swamps
- Clio — the muse of historical past
- Elpis — the spirit and divine personification of hope
- Atropos — eldest of the three Moirai, the goddesses of destiny and future
- Brizo — prophet goddess recognized to guard fishers, sailors, and different mariners
- Alethea — goddess of reality
- Cybele — goddess of caverns, mountains, and wild animals
- Doris — a sea nymph and mom of the Nereids
- Pheme — goddess of fame, gossip, and renown
- Enyo — minor goddess of conflict and destruction
- Harmonia — goddess of concord and harmony
- Metis — Titan goddess of knowledge
- Tyche — goddess of prosperity and fortune
Greek God Names
As talked about earlier than, Dionysus is thought for being a crowd-pleaser again in historical Greece, and considerably of a celebration boy. OK, we don’t know all that, however he’s the god of the grape harvest, which suggests he’s the god of wine. In Roman mythology, he is called Bacchus, and is usually depicted lounging and imbibing on all of the issues.
Everybody is aware of that Poseidon is a god of the ocean and one who had a great deal of little kids, together with Triton. However he’s additionally the god of horses and earthquakes. Mainly, an all-around highly effective dude. In Roman mythology, he’s referred to as Neptune, the ocean god, regardless of being recognized for different issues.
Hermes was the son of Zeus and Pleiad Maia and is often referred to as Mercury in Roman mythology. His identify is suspected to be derived from the phrase “herma,” which suggests a pile of stones that might have been used to mark a boundary. His identify additionally means “messenger.”
Alright, so this may not be the most effective identify for a son, given his troubled backstory. His mom, Hera, reportedly threw him off of Mount Olympus when he was born due to his bodily deformities. Nonetheless, he grew as much as be the husband of Aphrodite and the god of fireside and forging. Hephaestus clearly survived the wrestle.
That is one other identify that comes with bother. Ares is thought for being a god of conflict, however not the simply and good form. No, his identify is related to the devastation that comes with conflict and, because of this, was by no means worshipped all that a lot in historical Greece. Ares, the son of Zeus and Hera, is called Mars in Roman legend.
Apollo is probably going one of the well-known Greek gods, as he is called the god of actually all the pieces. He’s invoked relating to “music, poetry, artwork, prophecy, reality, archery, plague, therapeutic, solar, and lightweight,” per The Historical past Press. In Roman mythology, he goes by the identical identify, although he’s largely related to music in that canon.
Ah, the man who began all of it. Zeus is clearly a multilayered identify, given the god’s many ranges. Referred to as Jupiter in Roman mythology, he fathered so many Greek gods and goddesses and had sophisticated relationships with all of them, so it’s onerous to come back down on only one that means. That being mentioned, he’s usually benevolent and referred to as the god of the sky, on condition that he might management the climate and, effectively, most all the pieces else.
Achelous was not solely the god of the Achelous River (one of many mightiest rivers in Greece), however he was additionally chief to his 3,000 brothers, and his father was Oceanus. All our bodies of water are believed to have come from the Achelous river. He’s most well-known for his battle with Hercules for the center of Deianeira, which Achelous didn’t win.
Aeolus is the god of the wind. He’s also called the king of the legendary island known as Aiolia. And at any time when there was a really violent storm, Aeolus was often behind it. He stored storms locked in a cavern in an isle. Then, when he was able to launch the storm, he would set them free to wreak havoc.
The story of Atlas is a tragic one however an fascinating one, nonetheless. In Homer’s Odyssey, Atlas is depicted as a marine creature who helps the pillars holding the heavens and earth aside. In different tales, he was changed into a rocky mountain by the hero Perseus as punishment for being inhospitable. And, arguably probably the most well-known instance comes from Hesiod’s Theogony, which tells of how Zeus condemned Atlas to carry the heavens on his shoulders as punishment for participating in an rebellion in opposition to Zeus.
Who amongst us hasn’t heard the story of Hades? When the dominion of the gods was divided amongst Cronus’ sons, Hades was charged with lording over the underworld. He’s joined for a part of the 12 months in his realm of shadowy darkness by his queen, Persephone (tricked, although she was, into being there). Amongst his different companions? Cerberus, a monstrous three-headed watchdog.
With a reputation that apparently means “forethinker,” it’s little shock that Prometheus is depicted as an endlessly intelligent Greek god. A grasp craftsman, he is called the god of fireside and probably even related to the creation of people. He additionally has the repute for being fairly the trickster, aided in no small celebration by his cleverness.
Extra Greek God Names
- Aether — the divine personification of the intense higher sky
- Agathodaemon — the “noble spirit,” a companion spirit of fine fortune
- Alastor — god of household feuds and avenger of evil deeds
- Boreas — the traditional Grek god of the north wind
- Paean — the doctor of the Olympian gods
- Castor — the demigod twin brother of Pollux
- Cerus — the divine personification of alternative, luck, and favorable moments
- Chaos — also called Erebus, the divine personification of darkness
- Charon — son of Chaos and Evening who ferried souls over the Rivers Styx and Acheron
- Cronus — the chief of the primary era of Titans
- Dinlas — the god of hatred and in addition chaos
- Deimos — the divine personification of terror and dread
- Eros — the Greek god of carnal love
- Priapus — minor rustic fertility god
- Helios — the solar god
- Hesperus — the divine personification of the night star
- Hypnos — the divine personification of sleep
- Pontus — god of the deep sea
- Aristaeus — minor god of animal husbandry, bee-keeping, and fruit bushes
- Kratos — the divine personification of energy
- Momus — the divine personification of satire and mockery
- Morpheus — the primordial Greek god of goals
- Thanatos — minor god of dying
- Oceanus — the oldest Titan, father of 3000 stream spirits and 3000 ocean nymphs
- Pallas — the Titan god of battle and warcraft
- Pan — a fertility deity in, roughly, bestial kind
- Zelus — god of dedication, emulation, jealousy, and zeal
- Phosphorus — the divine personification of the morning star
- Triton — a merman, demigod of the ocean
- Typhon — a Titan with energy over the wind
- Uranus — the divine personification of heaven
- Zephyrus — the traditional Greek god of the west wind
- Crios — god of the heavenly constellations
- Erebus — primordial god of darkness
- Pricus — the immortal father of sea-goats
- Nereus — the Titan god of the ocean earlier than Poseidon
- Notus — the divine personification of the south wind
- Pollux — twin brother of Castor
- Tartarus — god of the deep abyss of the underworld
- Plutus — god of wealth
Goddess Names From Different Cultures & Mythology
- Aditi — Hindu goddess of the sky, earth, and unconsciousness
- Aine — Celtic goddess of wealth and summer time
- Alilat — Arabian goddess of conflict and peace
- Angelia — Italian goddess of the moon
- Anjea — Australian aboriginal goddess of fertility or spirit
- Aurora — Roman goddess of daybreak
- Brigid — Celtic goddess of therapeutic and agriculture
- Cerridwen — Celtic goddess of information, rebirth, and inspiration
- Chumash — Indian goddess of the flower
- Clemencia — Latin goddess of fine nature
- Concordia — Roman goddess of society and marriage
- Coventina — Roman goddess of wells and is derived
- Cyhiraeth — Celtic goddess of streams
- Dalia — Lithuanian goddess of future
- Deeta — Finnish goddess of the underworld
- Druantia — Celtic goddess of fertility for each people and crops
- Eachna — Irish goddess of brains and wonder
- Epona — Celtic goddess of horses
- Evaki — Bakairi goddess of 10,000 names or of evening and day
- Fauna — Roman goddess of the fertility of flocks and fields
- Freya — Norse goddess of fertility and love
- Hel — Norse goddess of dying
- Izanami — Japanese goddess of creation
- Juventas — Roman goddess of youth
- Kali — Hindu goddess of destruction
- Kianda — Angolan goddess of mythology
- Lakshmi — Hindu goddess of fortune and prosperity
- Lissa — African supreme mom goddess
- Minerva — Roman goddess of knowledge
- Morrigan — Irish historical goddess of conflict
- Nantosuelta — Celtic goddess of water
- Nixie — Latin goddess of childbirth
- Nuha — Arabic solar goddess
- Parvati — Hindu goddess of affection, magnificence, marriage, and fertility
- Sabrina — Celtic river goddess
- Sedna — Inuit goddess of the ocean and marine animals
God Names From Different Cultures & Mythology
- Aganjú — Yoruba warrior king
- Ahti — Finnish god of the depths, giver of fish
- Aker — Egyptian god of the earth and horizon
- Amarok — Inuit wolf god
- Anubis — Egyptian god of the useless
- Apu — Inca god of mountains
- Barsamin — Armenian god of sky and climate
- Batara Sambu — Indonesian god of academics
- Fūjin — Japanese god of the wind
- Gaol — Iroquois god of wind
- Hachiman — Japanese god of conflict and the divine protector of Japan
- Hapi — Egyptian divine personification of the Nile flood
- Igaluk — Inuit moon god and brother to the solar
- Inti — Inca solar god
- Jumala — Finnish sky god
- Jüri — Estonian god of agriculture
- Khonsu — Egyptian moon god
- Mihr — Armenian god of the solar and lightweight
- Nemty — Egyptian falcon god
- Nyyrikki — Finnish god of looking
- Omoikane — Japanese god of knowledge and intelligence
- Osiris — Egyptian god of dying and resurrection
- Oṣùmàrè — Yoruba divine rainbow serpent related to creation
- Pekko — Finnish god of crops
- Ra — Egyptian solar god
- Rahko — the Karelian god of time
- Raijin — Japanese god of thunder and lightning
- Refafu — Indonesian god of the rainforest
- Sobek — Egyptian crocodile god
- Suijin — Japanese god of water
- Tapio — Finnish god of the forest
- Tooni — Estonian god of dying, ruler of the useless
- Tursas — the Tavastian god of conflict
- Ukko — the Finnish god of sky and thunder
- Vanemuine — Estonian god of songs, artwork, and literature
This text was initially revealed on