Confession: I’m the mother who buys the ~fancy~ Ezekiel raisin bread to really feel higher about serving my toddler three out of three meals a day on toast. Whoops! Given ridiculously high grocery prices, it’s simply my luck that mentioned child is so averse to crust that even after I take away them (3 times a day!), he leaves the sandwich edges uneaten in his little Ziploc baggage as if in silent protest. Whereas I’m a mom, not a mathematician, I’d estimate that we’d be sacrificing a sh*t ton of completely good carbs if I didn’t swoop in for the crumbs.
Reality be informed, I’m sort of a crust woman anyway. But when miscellaneous bread crusts are going to be, nicely, my bread and butter for at the very least the following 5 years (or till my little one can make his own damn breakfast/lunch/dinner), I’d wish to suppose I can do higher. You too? Learn on for additional scrumptious methods to repurpose discarded crusts and make each loaf of bread go additional.
5 Creative Recipes for Leftover Sandwich Crusts
1. Cinnamon Sugar Bread Crust Treats by RecipeTin Eats
We sometimes consider bread as savory, not candy, however certainly a spoonful of sugar (or, er, 5) can change that. This recipe serves up main donut vibes all like “bibbidi-bobbidi-boo!”— no deep fryer required. (Simply lots of butter.) Bonus: These treats are prepared in eight minutes, the typical consideration span of anybody with a baby of crust-rejecting age.
2. Bread Crumbs by Jessica Gavin
There are two sorts of individuals: those that purchase breadcrumbs — which you should utilize in meatballs, atop mac and cheese, and over roasted veggies — and those that notice they’ve already purchased breadcrumbs each time they purchase a loaf of bread. The following time your oven is on, toss your crusts in a meals processor, unfold them on a single layer over a baking sheet, and bake at 300ºF for 10 minutes. Voila!
3. Peanut Butter French Toast Casserole by Flying on Jess Gasoline
For the mothers within the room who forgot to take away the crust earlier than making the PB&J (*cue toddler tantrum*), this one is for you since dregs of peanut butter or jelly are greater than welcome. Simply add kitchen staples like milk, eggs, sugar, peanut butter, cinnamon, and raisins, and also you’ll have a very new-looking dish made from kid-friendly meals. (Think about your children’ palates expanded!)
4. Bread Crust Croutons by Mrs. Jones’s Kitchen
Within the lengthy and storied historical past of youngsters liking salad croutons greater than salad itself, not one little one has spit out or in any other case rejected a crouton because of its crust. Additionally? This stovetop recipe solely calls for 3 substances, and considered one of them is crust. (You’ve acquired this!)
5. French Toast Chips by Frugal and Thriving
On this episode of “My Baby Solely Eats Carbs,” there are two plot twists: eggs and milk! Seems sauteing crusts coasted with a mix of those substances makes them far more palatable — and extra enjoyable to dip in syrup (as a result of #childhood).
3 Priceless Ideas for Cooking with Crusts
- It’s finest to take away crusts earlier than assembling your child’s sandwiches to maintain them freed from spreads and tasting notes like, “Wait, was that peanut butter?”
- Hold a crust bag in your freezer so that after your little crust-haters have consumed sufficient crust-free sandwiches, you’ll have a strong stash able to go. Or, preserve that bag in your pantry to let the crusts get good and off, a professional when embarking on the aforementioned recipes.
- Have a hankering for one of many recipes above however no crust readily available? Pre-make a loaf’s value of PB&Js, reducing crusts off as you go. Then, individually pack your sandwiches to toss in your freezer for grab-and-go lunches that each preserve lunchbox meals cool and defrost by the point your child is able to eat. You’re welcome!
Elizabeth is a contract author and/or mom of two underneath 3, relying on when/if her kids go the f*ck to sleep. Discover her on Instagram.